Overcoming Obstacles

Even though money was being donated to build a radio station, this did not solve all of the problems with establishing WMTC.

An issue that had to be dealt with was whether or not a radio station would even be accepted in the area. Some people were asking, “Is a radio station something we really want and need in the association?” This question had to be settled before the work could begin. Other people asked, “Why can’t we use the money for some evangelistic campaign?” However, the money was given to start a radio station, and it would be used in that way or not be accepted at all. Dr. Lela McConnell, the founder of the KMHA, was in favor of the radio station; and the work went ahead.

Another problem involved getting electricity for the new radio station. Dr. Fisher relates that when he and his wife came to KMBI, there was no electricity. A radio

WMTC Staff

station needs good reliable electricity, and electric power for the area was poor and not readily available. “I talked to the power company,” said Dr. Fisher, “The power company said that if we put a radio station in, they would do all they could to get power.” This was a great blessing for establishing WMTC. Dr. Fisher stated that two power lines from two directions were brought in for the station. This provided WMTC with reliable electricity. “Sometimes we would have power when no one else would,” remarked Dr. Fisher.

Marty Picaso and Family

Also before WMTC could be established, they needed a radio engineer. “The first thing you needed to start a radio station in those days was someone with a radio engineer’s license first class,” said Dr. Fisher, “and no one in the association was anywhere near having that license.” However, there was a good Christian man in Lexington named Marty Picaso who was an engineer. Dr. Fisher said that he had a good salary being an engineer working in Lexington, and the Kentucky Mountain Holiness Association could not pay him a salary for working at WMTC. No one was being paid a salary in the association, but Marty agreed to come help establish WMTC. Kenneth Amspaugh became the next radio engineer after Marty Picaso, and Dr. Fisher eventually got his license as well.

 The original cost to build WMTC was about twenty-one thousand dollars. Fifteen thousand dollars of Floyd Boyington’s money went directly into building the station. “These were the beginning days,” said Dr. Fisher.